Diabetes type 2 is metabolic disorder caused by insulin resistance. It is a disorder where your body cannot produce or use insulin adequately for efficient glucose metabolism, and as such it increases the amount of glucose in the blood.
Diabetes type 2 also referred to as Diabetes Mellitus II is common to both men and women. Several signs and symptoms of diabetes are common in both gender but there are some others that are only peculiar to men only.
Diabetes could be confirmed through fasting blood sugar test which is normally carried out the following morning after fasting for at least 9-10hours.
Results of fasting blood sugar with figures below 100mg/dL is normal. figures between 100-130mg/dL is referred to pre-diabetes and above 140mg/dL is referred to as diabetes. Readings from 200mg/dL and above is referred to as hyperglycemia.
At this level, the risk of having kidney failure is very high.
Common early signs of diabetes in men and women
There are several signs and symptoms that accompany diabetes, the following listed below are few of the early symptoms of diabetes common to both men and women:
- Unusual fatigue i.e. You get worn out easily. This is one of the early signs of diabetes which requires urgent attention.
- Wounds and/or cuts heals very slowly
- Recurrent infections and dark skin patches getting formed on folds of skin with creases.
- Blurred vision, blindness in extreme cases due to occular hypertension i.e. increase in blood pressure within the optic arteries. This is another early sign of diabetes especially when this is coming when you least expect it.
When these early signs and symptoms are not treated promptly, complications may arise.
- Dizziness after eating
- Intestinal bloating or flatulence: Flatulence (build up of gas) from undigested carbohydrates. Repeated occurrence calls for a medical check up.
- Increased hunger. This may actually lead to accumulation of fats in the body.
- Weight loss
Signs and symptoms of diabetes in men
1) Men tends to have acetone breath or fruity breath faster than women, this may further be complicated if such an individual is an alcoholic as it can degenerate further into liver damage.
2) Oral infections are very common in men due to the culture of several microflora which develops due to the glucose content of the blood and body fluids.
3) Muscle spasm and recurrent tingling sensation or numbness in the body due to neuropathy from nerve damage. This can be noticeable when you are not physically active.
4) Erectile dysfunction.
According to the National Diabetes Information Clearing house , men with diabetes are at risk for ED. The organization states that 20 to 75 percent of men with diabetes have erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is one of the diabetes symptoms in men that need urgent attention especially when you cannot find an immediate cause, this may reveal other silent medical issues in the body especially hypertension.
Men with diabetes can develop autonomic nervous system breakdown faster than women. The autonomic nervous system controls the widening and constriction of blood vessels in the penis, this contributes a lot to erectile dysfunction.
5) Retrograde ejaculation
This is a condition where semen flows back into the bladder, thus reducing the amount of semen that flows out during coitus.
Stroke may result from diabetes when there is inadequate circulation of blood and mineral nutrients to the brain due to the damage done to the blood vessels and nerve excess.
Whenever you start having the early symptoms of diabetes as I mentioned previously, there are many things you can do to prevent complications which are listed below.
- Avoid a sedentary life style
- Eat less sugar and carbohydrate-rich foods due to the excess sugar you will be absorbing into your body.
- Quit smoking if you do so as this may increase your risk of having a liver damage which may further worsen the symptoms
- Avoid alcohol at all cost if you are an alcoholic.
- Do not skip your breakfast everyday, it may lead to acquiring more weight.
- Drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration.