Don’t be too worried about how to go about dry cough treatment. Apart from some few dry coughs that may be due to severe health diseases, there are many home remedies for dry cough that you can use.
In simpler terms, dry coughs are coughs that may occur as a result of an allergen reaction, after a viral infection such as influenza, by exposure to dusts and smoke, or as a symptom of a disease. These coughs do not come along with mucus or phlegm. Though you may feel as though there is something stuck in the throat, no substance or phlegm accompanies the cough.
WHY USE REMEDIES FOR DRY COUGH?
It is necessary to get dry cough treatment because:
- It may develop into wet cough and other severe complications or may be related to a severe health problem.
- They can be embarrassing as they occur often, leading some to speculate that you have TB.
- Untreated persistent dry cough can cause a lung cancer
- The longer they stay, dry coughs may lead to bloody coughing.
Severe dry cough which are associated with severe diseases such as TB must be handled by a doctor. However, for other trivial causes, you may use any of the following make-at-home dry cough remedies.
Steam serves as a dry cough remedy by loosening and thinning out excess mucus and phlegm that cause coughs.
- Boil some water and pour into a bowl, cover your head with a towel and place your face over it to receive and inhale the steam.
- Alternatively, you may take regular shower baths. Fill your bath tub with warm or steamy water and sink your body into it for about 10 – 15minutes.
Turmeric is another home remedy for cough. The curcumin content of turmeric is a very potent antiviral and antibacterial substance which enables it to kill the causative bacteria and germs of cough. It also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that make it an effective option for reducing and healing inflammations that result in a chronic dry cough.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder with an equivalent quantity of carom seeds and boil in water for some minutes. Optionally, you may add honey and drink this twice or thrice a day as your home remedy for dry cough.
- Alternatively, mix some turmeric powder with warm milk and drink for a relief from dry cough at night.
Honey is the most widely used and longest standing home remedy for dry cough. It’s no wonder why most cough syrups contain honey. Honey has analgesic properties which are proven to remove excessive mucus as well as giving the throat a soothing feel. It is also an antioxidant and anti-microbial which is why it is a preference.
- A mixture of honey with warm milk should do the magic
- You may as well add honey to tea or paste into bread for consumption.
Garlic is no exception from dry cough home remedies. Like honey and turmeric, garlic is antibacterial, antiviral and has antimicrobial properties. Its main active agent, allicin, makes it one of the best home solutions for dry cough as it annihilates constant dry cough causing bacteria and virus. It also serves as an immune system booster.
- Boil some few cloves of garlic and one teaspoon oregano in a bowl of water, let it cool off, add some honey and drink this twice a day as your new dry cough remedy.
5. SALT WATER
We weren’t going to leave that out of dry cough remedies, were we? Salt water should save you the worry. Going back to the basic principles of osmosis in high school science, salt reduces inflammation or swelling in the mucus membranes. Scientists have observed that, when salt is present in the throat, the inner salt in the cells of the lung’s mucous membrane flow out to through the semi-permeable walls to meet with the external salt. This leads to a reduction in swellings and inflammations.
- Take sips and gargles of a salt mixture made of about 6 to 8 ounces of water for 10, 15 or 20seconds on a continual daily basis. It serves as an inexpensive and reliable remedy for dry cough.
Peppermint is well known as a dry cough remedy for its healing abilities. Just as they do for sinusitis and cold relief, they are wonderful for combatting dry cough. Peppermint contains menthol which soothes the throat and serves as a decongestant for breaking down or disintegrating mucus.
- Make and drink peppermint tea as your dry cough remedy.
- You can also take a steam bath with some warm steamy water and peppermint oil.
- Alternatively, pour some hot steamy boiled water into a bowl and add 4 to 5 drops of peppermint oil, place your face over it to receive and inhale the steam.
Probiotics play a special and indirect role among dry cough home remedies. Their function is to ensure a balance in the bacteria living in the intestines (gastrointestinal flora). They support and enhance the functioning of the immune system in all the various parts of the body. This helps the antibodies fight against infectious bacteria and virus. You can use probiotics while using other dry cough remedies such as steam and salt water.
Aside the above remedies for dry cough, you can always use alternative remedies such as ginger, marshmallow root, throat lozenges, eucalyptus oil, almonds, bromelain, licorice tea and tea thyme. When dealing with a severe dry cough, always ensure you use doctor-prescribed dry cough remedies.