Also known as urticaria, hives may occur unsuspectingly, at any time. They are usually sudden emergence of reddish swellings or bumps in the skin. Physical hives are very itchy and have no regular shapes. They may be caused by an allergic reaction which leads to histamine production, or other external factors like scratching, sun effects on the skin, temperature swings etc.
Instead of some medical drugs, you may use natural remedies for hives treatment – Most common hives are not the types that require a medical doctor’s attendance.
TREATING HIVES AT HOME
You have access to the natural remedies for hives in your home. Let’s take a look at some below.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory substance which reduces inflammation and itchiness in the skin. Studies have proven them to be effective antishistamines as well as antioxidants that help relieve numerous skin ailments.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a glass of warm milk and drink this daily.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with warm water and green tea and drink.
- You may also add some turmeric powder to meals as a preventive measure or cure for hives.
2. BAKING SODA
Another common kitchen substance effective as a cure for hives is baking soda. It is anti-inflammatory and so reduces inflammation and itchinessin the skin.
- Pour and mix a cup of baking soda into warm water in a bath tub. Then, immerse your body in it for a warm 20minute bath.
- Alternatively, make a paste with baking soda and water and apply topically to the affected regions of the skin. Let it remain for 10minutes before you finally rinse off with warm water.
3. COLD COMPRESS
A cold compress is a significant hives remedy. When a cold compress is applied, the flow of blood is reduced since the blood vessel shrink. This shrinkage helps in blocking or preventing additional release of histamines. This leads to reduced itchiness, inflammation and swellings.
- Wrap some cubes of ice in a cloth and fix it on the inflamed regions for about 8 to 10minutes. You may do this as many as four times a day.
- A cold shower o bath can also help to reduce inflammation.
Oatmeal functions as an anti-irritant, is antinflammatory and helps to provide a soothing relief from itchiness. It also helps to recover from bruises that may be caused by hives.
- Mix two cups of powdered oatmeal with a cup of baking soda, pour and stir into a bathtub of warm water and submerge your body in it for a minimum of 15minutes each day. This should be done twice daily.
- Using enough water, make a paste with two tablespoons each of cornstarch and baking soda and apply to the affected areas of the skin. After 15minutes, you should wash off with warm water.
5. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Listed among the best home remedies for hives, ACV has antihistamine properties which make it a perfect cure for hives that are caused by allergies. Italso aids in a quick relief from inflammation and itchiness.
- Make a mixture of two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, some water and honey or lemon and drink it as your new found hives remedy.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and two cups of ACV and submerge your body into it for at least, 20 minutes.
- You can also do a topical application with diluted ACV as your hive treatment, twice every day.
6. ALOE VERA
Being the most multipurpose plant for skin related issues, Aloe Vera gel serves as another natural hives remedy. Due to its contents, it reduces swellings and redness as well as eases itchiness when a topical application is done to the skin. An ingestion of it also helps in removing toxins that cause inflammation.
- If you are neither a nursing mother, pregnant woman nor a child, you can drink a tablespoon or two of Aloe Vera juice daily.
- Alternatively, smear some Aloe Vera gel on the affected regions of the skin and allow it 10-15minutes to dry up before you rinse off with some warm water. This can be done as many times as you wish in a day. Do this daily until the hives are completely lost.
Aside the above remedies, you may also use ginger, basil, chamomile, nettle and mint to treat hives. You may use preventive methods such as wearing loose clothing, avoiding triggers, taking in more vitamins Cs, desisting to stay in the sun for long and taking a lot of rest.