Having a runny nose means your mucus membrane are being filled with excessive mucus. It can be the result of sicknesses such as flu or cold or as a result of allergic reactions or nasal irritations. A normal runny nose may disappear after some days. Some runny nose may last even longer or become chronic. However, there are various runny nose remedies that should help you get rid of them faster.
Let us take a look at these home remedies for runny nose.
Turmeric is a virtuoso natural herb for a number of health issues. It eradicates runny noses due to its inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties. They kill or hamper the activities of viruses and bacteria that may cause runny nose
- Mix turmeric powder with a glass of milk and drink. If you can, you may use a glass of water instead.
- You can also inhale a steam of turmeric powder
2. SALT WATER
Salt is very good for the purpose of disinfecting the nasal channels and mucus membranes from bacteria and germs in order to deal with the burden of a constant runny nose
- You may inhale steam from a freshly boiled salt water
- You can also rinse the nostrils directly with salt water for effective relief
Garlic serves as an antiseptic and antibacterial agent, effective for the ridding of sinus irritating bacteria. The use of it is one of the perfect home remedies for runny nose.
- Add some cloves of garlic to a cup of hot sugar and water solution filter it and drink the water.
- Alternatively, you can chew pieces of chopped garlic twice or thrice daily.
- You may appropriate some garlic supplements as well.
4. MUSTARD OIL
Mustard oils are antibiotic as well as antiviral. They suppress viruses and bacteria that may cause a constant runny nose.
- Put 2 drops of heated mustard oil into each of the nostrils and blow the nose after about 5minutes.
- You can also pour some mustard oil into freshly boiled water and inhale the steam as a runny nose remedy.
5. HEAT OR STEAM
Heat is essential for melting down the thick mucus stuck in the mucus membranes to allow for a quicker discharge of mucus. This is one of the local home remedy for runny nose.
- Immerse a clean towel into hot water, squeeze it and place it over the face.
- You may also take regular hot water baths.
- Additionally, you should avoid cold stuff and rink more hot water.
Ginger serves a good purpose of loosening or thinning out thick mucus and allowing them to be discharged quickly for an earlier relief. It also destroys fungi growth and is an antiviral as well.
- Chew some ginger everyday
- Adding some honey and water, make a ginger tea drink twice or thrice daily.
- Place some ginger in freshly boiled water and inhale the steam.
7. HONEY AND CINNAMON
While cinnamon’s presence destroys bacterial infection, honey provides a soothing runny nose remedy to relief nasal irritation.
- Mix some honey with a reasonable amount of cinnamon powder and a teaspoon of lemon in a glass. Drink this on a daily basis for a relief from constant runny nose.
8. MORE PEPPER IN FOOD
We know without a doubt that excessive pepper will make you experience a constant runny nose even more. Pepper will make the thickened mucus in sinuses more liquefied for quicker and total discharge. Cayenne pepper is most recommended. In addition to increasing your nasal discharge, it flushes out toxins from the nasal or mucus membranes.
Aside the aforementioned, there are many more runny nose remedies you can use. Some of these are; eucalyptus oil, basil, mustard oil, onion and garlic. You may make your choice in accordance to your preference and level of convenience.