Lice are parasitic organisms. When they infect people, they feed and survive on their bodies. There are body lies that infect parts of the body or skin, head lice that infect the hair or the scalp, and pubic lice which are usually harbored in pubic regions like the armpit and genitals. They are parasites and so cannot survive for long without their hosts.
No one likes to have lice in their hair. It is embarrassing to most parents when their kids get infected with lice. Though it often affects children, this infection affects older people as well. In most societies, families may be regarded as dirty and unclean when a member contracts these lice. Lice infections cause itchiness, neither look good nor feel good and makes people try various ways for getting rid of lice.
GETTING RID OF LICE
How to get rid of lice depends on the kind of infection. It is almost impossible to pick lice with the bare hands. Lice that infect persons may be hair lice, pubic lice or body lice. This article talks about what to do in getting rid of head lice. One silly and ineffective method some people use to get rid of lice in the hair is by soaking the hair in water or by swimming. Don’t get it twisted – lice can survive over 6 hours of water immersion.
You may use any of the following home remedies for getting rid of lice.
1. APPLY PEDICULICIDES
The best way to get rid of lice is by using pediculicides. They are usually liquid/fluid chemical drugs, specifically manufactured for annihilating lice and their nits. Some peliculicides are specially prepared to kill only the lice whiles others are specially designed to kill both lice and their eggs. If you get rid of lice without their eggs, the eggs grow and transform into crawling lice so that the infection breaks out again. Personally, I advise for people to use the dual functional pediculicides so that lice and their eggs are completely removed without any chance of a return.
- Apply pediculicides to your hair according to the instructions inscribed on the cover.
- After the appropriate time has elapsed, wash the hair and scalp with clean water.
NOTE: Do not use shampoos for washing as it may cause some unbearable burns and pains.
2. THE SPECIAL NIT COMB
Nit combs, as the name suggests, are special combs that are designed to catch nits. These combs can be used alongside the first option (peliculicides). However, they function equally as well when used alone. The only problem is that, you need to dedicate more time in using this remedy. However, they are very effective for getting rid of head lice.
- Fetch a bowl of hot water, add some powdered detergent and with the help of the comb, divide the hair into segments.
- Starting from the scalp of the head, carefully comb through the hair, section by section. After each successful comb out, rinse the comb in the hot water to remove and kill the detained lice from the comb.
3. NEEM LEAVES
This option may be the best way to get rid of lice for people that are uncomfortable with the use of chemicals such as pediculicides. Neem leaves are not only good for fever relief. They have been proven to be natural pesticides and insectides which are effective for getting rid of live and other parasites.
- Grind neem leaves and add a little water to form a paste
- Smear the paste on the scalp and hair and rub through with the fingers
- Allow it about 10-15minutes to dry and wash out with water.
Doing this a couple of times in a week will annihilate all lice from the hair in some few weeks.
Another option is to purchase some pure neem oil, pour and rub into the hair and scalp. This is to loosen the grip of the lice. After about an hour, wash the hair and allow it to dry. When the hair is dry, pick out the lice and eggs with a nit comb.
4. USE SOME PETROLEUM JELLY
This substance is a perfect tool for killing lice, bugs etc. This substance hampers lice activities and suffocates them as well. Eventually, lice die out and become easier to remove.
- At night, smear and rub petroleum jelly into the hair and scalp, wrap the hair in a towel or shower cap to avoid soiling of bed covers and go to sleep.
- The next morning, wash out the petroleum jelly and wash with water and shampoo and allow it to dry.
- When the hair is dry, you can now use the nit comb to remove the lice – they either die or become weak making their grip loose.
This can be done on a weekly basis and should help get rid of lice in a month.
Other remedies that can be used at home include:
- Applying Apple Cider Vinegar to the hair to kill the lice
- Application of coconut oil to the hair
- Tea tree oil application
- Rubbing hair with alcohol
- Soaking hair in almonds
- Mayonnaise application
- Pour some lemon juice into the hair
- Blend some onions and apply to the hair and scalp.
Do the following to prevent further spread of lice to other people at home.
- Wash bed sheets
- Wash or discard clothes and cloths of infected persons that contain lice – more important specifically for body lice
- Vaccinate the home by spraying with some ACV, coconut oil or other essential oils
- Check all others for signs of lice and treat them accordingly
- Let children avoid playing in dirt.
All these options are good for getting rid of head lice. Go for the option that is more convenient for you.