It’s normal to discharge some mucus once in a while but an excessive nasal mucus production and discharge is never a comfortable feeling. Though runny nose is usually associated with colds and flus, it can also be as a result of an allergy.
Allergy causes make people experience runny nose randomly and often, if the allergy is an ever present substance in the environment. Whichever be the cause, you can stop this problem by using any runny nose treatment at home. Let’s take a look at some 10 simple ways to stop a constant runny nose.
1. INCREASE INTAKE OF FLUIDS
This is the first thing you ought to do after contracting a runny nose. Runny nose could be due to sinusitis – a condition where the sinuses are swollen and bloated with thick mucus storage in the mucus membrane. By taking in a lot of water, fruit juices and drinks, it thins out the mucus thereby, allowing them to drip faster and relieving you from a constant runny nose. Preferably, hot liquids such as a hot tea, make these mucus melt faster as well as providing a soothing relief.
2. BLOW YOUR NOSE
The second basic thing you ought to do in lieu of relieving a constant runny nose is by blowing your nose often and gently. Runny nose is a signal of excessive mucus in the mucus membrane. Desist from snorting or pulling back mucus into the head. Blow the nose often to help release mucus more rapidly and hence, a quicke relief.
3. APPLY SOME HEAT
Applying some heat or steam to the nose decongests the crowded sinuses that may be causing the constant runny nose.
- You can do this by placing a warm compress over the nose or forehead.
- Alternatively, you can immerse a clean towel in hot water, squeeze it and apply the towel to the forehead and nose.
- You can also take a bath with hot water or in a hot shower or by turning on a humidifier.
- Put some camphor, peppermint oil or eucalyptus in a bowl of hot water and place your face/nose over it to absorb the steam.
4. TAKE ADEQUATE REST
Doctors always recommend taking extra rest hours whenever the body is sick. Rest makes the body heals faster as the immune system gain extra energy to fight against antibodies. This can be used along with any runny nose treatment for a quicker relief.
5. GUARD AGAINST IRRITANTS AND ALLERGIES
If you still have the nasal irritants or allergies that cause colds in the environment, you may experience a runny nose constantly even if you are using a runny nose treatment. The most common nasal irritants or allergies are dust mites, latex, pollen and pets or pets’ fur.
- You may need to sell or gift out pets that may be given you allergic reactions
- Dust your home environment and office or workplace to get rid of dust mites
- You may also have to use some allergy medications if you have no control over the presence of irritants.
6. NASAL DROPS AND SPRAY
There are saline nasal drops and spray you can use as runny nose treatment. They are easy to come by and not expensive. These help to reduce excess mucus production thin out the mucus membrane and provide a soothing relief, allowing you to breathe normally.
This herb is tested and confirmed by many to relieve runny nose. It is known as a strong antioxidant that possesses antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that makes it a standout combatant to runny nose conditions.
- You may mix turmeric powder with essential oils an hot water and inhale the steam.
- You can also ingest a tablespoon of turmeric, mixed with a glass of milk
Like turmeric, ginger is also an antioxidant as well as contains antiviral and antibacterial properties. It is also antifungal which makes it kill fungi infection that may cause a runny nose.
- You can chew ginger
- Add slices of it to a glass of boiled water and drink
- Boil it in water and inhale the steam.
I believe strongly you are much equipped with information as to how to stop a runny nose. Enjoy your day.