Coughing once in a while is normal. However, some disorders, health complications and other disorders may cause unusual coughing. Worse of all, coughs may occur at night. Persistent coughing at night can become very frustrating and devastating. It causes distraction in sleep and may lead to sleepless nights at times. Bad cough at night may be caused by respiratory disorders such as whooping cough, pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma or even congestive heart failure. They also occur as a result of certain allergies and congested or blocked airway passages in the lungs.
You can prevent the occurrence of bad cough at night by any of the following ways:
1. WARM OR HOT WATER BATH
One common reason for coughing at night is dryness of air passages in the lungs. You may secure against dry air passages in the lungs throughout the night by getting your body steamed up and moistened.
- Fill your bath tub with warm water and take a warm steamy bath. You may soak yourself up in it for 15 -20minutes. This makes your inner parts (nostrils, sinuses and lungs) moistened throughout the night to prevent dry airway associated coughs.
2. AVOID ARTIFICIAL AIR
Air from fans and air conditioners are guilty of causing coughing at night.
- Avoid sleeping under a fan or in an air conditioned room.
- You need to move further away from room temperature heaters as well.
3. SLEEPING POSTURE ADJUSTMENT
When we sleep, gravity may cause certain substances to pile up and irritate nerve endings. Likewise, people may experience an acid reflux which causes irritation in the lungs and hence, lead to bad cough at night.
- Sleep with your head inclined upwards with the help of a pillow to prevent reflux of acid into the esophagus or lungs.
- You may also raise the head area of your bed some inches higher with more wooden blocks.
- Sleeping on the backside also causes coughing at night as it hampers normal breathing. You should avoid it.
4. WASH BEDDINGS REGULARLY
Bad cough at night may also be due to allergies. Dust mites and filth may enter the lungs and respiratory system through inhalation. Bacteria, dirt and other allergies from dirty pillows and bedspreads are likely to trigger coughs.
- Wash bed sheets and pillows properly and regularly. You can wash them every weekend or on weekly basis.
- Avoid sleeping on bed or mattress without bed covers.
Humidifiers are good for preventing dry-air-passage related night coughs. They keep the room humid and moist throughout the night. The air passages in the nose and lungs are opened by the steam which allows for better breathing.
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS FOR STOPPING BAD COUGH AT NIGHT
- Place hands on the diaphragm and try breathing from the diaphragm and not the chest.
- One tablespoon of honey before bed
- Make a licorice root tea and drink before bed
- Gargle with a salt and water solution
- Steam the face with warm water and natural essential oils.
These and many more are how to stop coughing at night. Use the method that is readily available and convenient for you. However, if your situation is one caused by a severe lung problem or respiratory system disorder, I recommend you seek medical attention.