Multiple sclerosis (MS) is anauto-immune disease and inflammation that may come in different flavors with different presenting symptoms every time a relapse occurs. So what is multiple sclerosis? What is ms causes? What are the signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis? There are many more are what we shall be looking at in this article.
Multiple sclerosis is a disease that affects and damages the myelin sheaths, the insulating covers of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. This causes transmission of impulse and stimulus from point of origin and organs to be deficient thus causing delayed response to both internal and external stimulus.
Early signs of MS shows up between the ages of 20 and 40 years, but the prognosis is always on the good side but with possibility of occasional relapses. Some symptoms of multiple sclerosis may linger for a while;while some come and go depending on the neurons affected and which part of the brain the neurons are situated. Early symptoms of MS may include tingling sensations in the extremities, numbness and blurred vision especially during the day. The first commonest of all MS symptoms in women and men is impaired visual acuity, while memory problems are some of the first MS symptoms in men and women. This also degrades further with age.
Multiple sclerosis symptoms often increases with time if auto-immune inflammation is involved and it could be progressive, or progressive relapsing or demyelinating multiple sclerosis with different clinical presentations. One form of MS common in children is Schilder’s disease which is on the increase in children of recent. Some of the multiple sclerosis symptoms you notice in children having this is memory deficiencies, vomiting, muscle weakness, headache, visual and speech impairment, personality changes, dementia and seizures.
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis
The following are multiple sclerosis symptoms:
1. Thinking problems: Those who have multiple sclerosis over time may suffer from emotional depression and consequently, difficulties maintaining concentration and focus, this oftentimes degenerates into memory problems and recurrent amnesia, this is more common in older men and women.
2. MS hug or ‘MS girdle’: This is a coin name that describes pain which develops in the torso.MS girdle often presents as a feeling of wearing a girdle around the tummy thus the name- girdle-band or MS girdle sensation.At times it may degenerates into heart attack by extension so you need to talk to your doctor when you experience this.You may also experience a dull achy or sharp and burning pain under the rib cage or between your neck and waist line. Medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen and neuropathic medications help to get relief.
3. Tickling and tingling sensation: This may be similar to restless leg syndrome. This is commonly experienced in the leg, presenting as a tick impulse on the leg.
4. Visual impairment: Visual acuity impairment (optic neuritis) is one of the first symptoms of multiple sclerosis which presents at the onset of this degenerative disease. This happens when optic nerves are inflamed. This may also present as blindness in one eye.
5. Swallowing problems and speech impairment
6. Mood swing and recurrent depressive episodes. This may lead to flare-ups and sudden behavioral changes.
7. Chronic pain (as it is characteristic of autoimmune diseases that affects the joints).
8. Muscle spasms and muscle weakness
9. Loss of sensitivity in some parts of the body
Currently there are no known vaccines for multiple sclerosis however cure is underway.Multiple sclerosis symptoms may be managed by symptomatic treatments and auto-immune medications which may help to alleviate pain sensations and skin inflammations and prevent further attacks.